As in the face, body fat is the best tissue for restoring volume: it is a sort of self-prosthesis. It is a technique that has become very reliable, and is one I perform on a daily basis.
I essentially increase the size of the breasts and buttocks, as these are the 2 main areas of roundness in the body.
It is nevertheless possible to correct all other forms of hollow, such as bra straps, the results of liposuction, depressed scars and malformations of the thorax (a hollow between the breasts), etc.
Increasing breast volume is a technique that has recently started to be used. It has both advantages and disadvantages, but is ideal for patients who cannot accept the idea of having a foreign body implanted into their breasts.
The fat graft:
– life-long result;
– no capsule;
– no perception of a foreign body;
– no scar.
– the technique is impossible in slim women as there needs to be fat tissue;
– it is only possible to increase by one size at a time. So, if you want to go up 2 or 3 sizes, you either need 2 or 3 operations, at 2 hours each, or use a device called BRAVA, which makes it possible to insert more fat in one go. The problem is that it needs to be worn for 10 weeks, 12 hours a day, and it is very cumbersome;
– if you have a certain degree of ptosis (sagging breasts), the risk is that the fat will give you larger breasts, but that sag just as much;
– patients need to be aged under 35 (in principle) because the risk of being affected with breast cancer (which is invisible prior to the operation) is very low. The operation runs the risk of disseminating any cancer cells, which is not the case with an implant.
– breast size can be increased as much as desired;
– short, simple operation;
– it is possible to treat a certain degree of ptosis because the implant has a firmer texture and gives the breast shape.
– lifespan: 20 to 25 years;
– risk of capsule (low);
– perception of the implant;
– small scar.
In certain cases, it is possible to combine implants and fat injections to produce even more natural results.
If there is one indication in which a fat graft is essential, it is in cases of asymmetry. It is the best method for obtaining two, identical breasts whilst only operating on one. Using an implant would result in a breast with a very different shape.
This restructuring is painstaking work as fat is grafted in small, interwoven strands so that each cell is nourished and remains alive.
The operation is performed under a general anaesthetic. The harvest sites are the stomach, knees, thighs, or elsewhere. The post-operative œdema and bruising can often be quite significant. There is little pain, just a little tightening, and it is considered that 30% is eliminated, which I make up for by grafting 30% more during the operation.
I perform this operation very often, particularly in patients who have lost a lot of weight and who no longer have round buttocks. I prefer this technique to the one using buttock implants.
Another indication is also very common: lipodystrophy in patients on triple therapy.
There is no failure and the results are always spectacular.
So far, I have always had patients whose post-operative period has been simple.
There are few problems with fat grafting. The operation is a little longer than for implants, but the result lasts a life time.
Buttocks that lacked volume. I took fat from the hips, which simultaneously reshaped the entire silhouette. 350 cc were grafted on each side.
Magnificent result for breast augmentation. 300 cc on each side.