Plastic surgery for the arms is very popular because arm flaps are very visible and prevent patients from wearing short sleeves.
There are several important things to be aware of:
– the technique with the scar in the armpit does not work. You think it is going to work by pulling the skin on your arm up, but it is an illusion!!! The skin on your arm is in fact like a sleeve that is too big: the quantity needs to be reduced, not shortened
– the problem with reduction is that it leaves a scar that is quite visible all down the arm.
– you need to use a modern technique (the one I described in 2007). The old techniques are dangerous because they cut all the lymph vessels, with a risk of chronic oedema in the arm and ugly scarring.
This new technique is adapted to cases both of arm flaps and considerable excess skin following massive weight loss.
Good scarring depends on 5 golden rules:
– a very precise position for the scar, visible neither from the front nor the back
– perfect closing tension
– the absence of post-operative effusion which re-opens the scars
– sutures without knots which prevent trauma to the dermis
– the absence of burns to the dermis through coagulation of the vessels thanks to adrenaline
This technique was elected “Best of Europe 2008” by the European Society of Plastic, Reconstructive and Aesthetic Surgery
aesthetic refining with a good quality scar. The associated liposuction made it possible to reduce volume in a spectacular manner.
Wrinkled arm. Ablation of the skin has resolved the problem
This technique is so safe that it can be applied to a very particular field of surgery: reconstructive surgery following massive weight loss. Even the elbow has been improved.